Tuesday, January 24, 2012

UNICOM - "Can't say dad on the radio!"

This morning while on the subway, I begin to study about the different types of radio communications and devices used for aeronautical purposes. In the chapter it talked about a UNICOM (a privately owned air/ground communication station which transmits your position and intentions.)  

While reading about a UNICOM I couldn't help but remember a funny story that happened years ago while I worked as a "Rampee" (ramp agent, you know the guys with the mickey mouse ears) for BEX Delta's regional company. 



It was during the summer of 1995-96 I was in the bin of a 727 loading bags and in an instance I twisted my ankle. From that day till my ankle got better I was asked to work in "Operations" (a UNICOM) while in the operations role I had to answer radio calls from pilots with location, ramp information, requests etc. 

One day, a call comes in and says "This is flight 1234 8765Charlie" I paused for a moment with an intrigued look because the voice sounded very familiar, I answered "Flight 1234, this is ops" Pilot says "FLight 1234 we are ten out and will need a top off while on the ramp" I answered with a questionable look in my face and said "DAD?" the caller pauses and says "JAY?" "Yeah, it's me dad!" I begin to laugh and he says "JAY, you can't say DAD on the radio!!!"  

Ten minutes later I greeted my dad Captain Nelson Rodriguez (whom worked for BEX at the time) hugged on the ramp and we both laughed. It was definitely a highlight in BEX's UNICOM and in our relationship...

Jason Anthony Rodriguez - FWJ

No comments:

Post a Comment